An umbrella group for Irish hillwalkers.
An exploratory meeting to see if there was interest in a new national hillwalking interest group was held in Dublin on the 28th April 2007. The meeting, held by the Irish Ramblers Club, heard about the background and the outlines of what the suggested grouping might do. These include a number of subgroups in areas such as cooperative holidays, technical interest, challenge walks and summit-bagging, photography, trail-repair etc with an overall binding provided by a website.
Some 50 people attended the meeting and strong support was expressed for the proposal.
An interim committee was agreed to create some initial activities.
Objectives and Functions
The objectives/function of the Association are as follows : -
- To give a sense of identity and purpose to hill walking/walking/rambling in its own right as a national sport in Ireland.
- To provide services such as club training info, insurance, information on holidays, challenge walks and access to hill walkers nationally
- To coordinate a hill walkers’ view on topics of special interest, such as access, the environment and mapping and
- To provide a forum for specialist interests such as GPS, photography, nature etc
The current scope of the Group is
- to develop a web site which will collate and present news items of interest to walkers and
- provide a platform for interest groups under the umbrella of the organization to present and share information on their topic. Any longer-term scope will evolve later.
In due course the new Association will further develop its democratic basis.
This Association is setting out to provide various services to hillwalking, walking and rambling in Ireland. It is not initially intending to act as a representative body.